[mapguide-users] Basic Approach

Kenneth ks at geograf.dk
Tue May 1 03:34:51 EDT 2007

To set up solution, perform the following step:

1. Install MapGuide Server + Web Extensions
2. Load SHP files via MapGuide Studio (Not sure if web studio has Load
Procedures yet).
3. Make a map, unfortunately you cannot import an Arc map just yet.
4. Create a new WebLayout, and insert your map.

At this point you should have a working solution. Now to provide the
open/closed version, you should create 2 weblayouts and two maps. Then
create a php page that authenticates the user, creates a mapguide
session, and redirects to the appropriate weblayout.

In these weblayouts, you can set avalible tools and zoom leves, and much
more.

Im not sure that there is currently write support for the Shape
provider, if not, you have to figure out some way to export shape files.
There is support for PostGIS, afaik.

It is very easy to produce a Raster image of the current map, using the
MapGuide render service. Unfortunately, some parameters, such as zoom
level are stored solely on the client, so you have to extract them, and
send them to your php page. Once this is done, you will need a pdf
creater component to insert the image.

I hope this is enough for you to estimate the difficulty in setting up
such a solution. Code for creating sessions and rendering the map is
avalible in the MapGuide Developers Guide.

Regards, Kenneth, GEOGRAF A/S