[mapguide-users] Database Choice

Andre Schoonbee andresch at iway.na
Tue May 15 02:57:18 EDT 2007

Dear List

I hope I am at the right door for this question.

We are busy planning a Mapguide deployment which will eventually cover the
entire country's special data as can be found at our Local Surveyor Generals
office. This will also include all National statistics data etc. So we are
looking at a few 100 GB.

Our first step will be to start small and then grow to include all later.

My questions are:
1) We plan to have all data on PostgreSql, or would oracle be a better
choice. The reason why we prefer Postgresql is because is't free.

2) Database design: What would be the best design concept? We will start
with hundreds of *.shp files. Do we create 1 database and only a few tables
such as polygons, polylines, points; or should we differentiate further? I
really need some info on best practice and for optimal performance.

PLEASE, any guidance would be appreciated

Andre