[mapguide-users] Tiling and other methods to improve performance

George McLean gmclean at gorge.net
Wed Sep 19 18:32:29 EDT 2007

Hello,

I have a large base map that covers an area for an electric utility. The
base map is in state plane grid coordinates and the map is about 100
miles in both X and Y. Most of this map in this 100x100 region is blank
since we only have base information near where the utility's facilities
are located. I am trying to improve performance by using tiles. I would
like to have zoom levels in pretty close, maybe on the order of 1:500 as
well as zoom levels that much farther out. If I set this up with Base
Layers in studio and then generate tiles using Websoft's tiling engine
for each zoom level, I will get a huge number of tiles. If I do not
generate tiles then performance is perceived as poor.

Are there any better strategies for dealing with large base maps that
must be viewed both at the detail level and high zoom scales? I m still
using MGOS 1.1 (maybe I should upgrade).

Thanks,

George McLean