[mapguide-users] How do i load raster in MGOS 2?

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Tue Aug 5 16:05:48 EDT 2008

Hi Frank,

> It *seems* to me that MapGuide (or Studio or Maestro) should
> be providing more feedback to the user on why things aren't
> or won't work.

There are two cases where images "don't show up" in MapGuide.

In the first case, where the projection of the images doesn't match the
projection of the map, an exception shows up in the MapGuide server
logs.  The authoring tools could probably be modified to warn the user
when they add incompatible raster layers.  When MapGuide is enhanced to
support reprojection on the fly (RFC 51) this warning could be modified
to note the potential performance impact.  I've added an enhancement
ticket for Maestro detailing this:
http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/ticket/652

In the second case, the extents returned to MapGuide are far larger than
the raster's data area.  When these images are previewed or added as the
first layer to a map, the raster is invisible because it's less than a
pixel on the initial view of the map.  I'm not sure what could be done
on the authoring side to detect/warn of this.

Jason