[mapguide-users] Fusion + Oracle datasource problem

Paul Spencer pagameba at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 09:04:50 EDT 2008

.

Please note that there is typically a long lag between new open source
development and the appearance of the code in related commercial
products as the commercial products typically go through much longer
release cycles that start based on released/stable open source
available at that time and involve lots of testing.  When commercial
software is actually released, the open source software has often
evolved by a version or two from the version that is in the commercial
version.  This is not Autodesk-specific, just a fact of life for
commercial software based on open source.  It is sometimes possible to
substitute the cutting edge open source stuff into a commercial
software package, but this can be tricky because APIs change - so
while it is possible to grab a new fusion version and drop it into an
existing MapGuide (open source or commercial) version, you are going
to run into some upgrade issues (as is the case right now with having
to update the MapGuide templates when using the latest fusion).  In my
experience, I think it is actually quite amazing that fusion and
mapguide are so version-interchangeable, probably due to excellent
engineering on the the mapguide side of things and a relatively loose
coupling of the fusion/mapguide APIs.

In any case, I digress - thanks for your offer to be involved, you
have already helped by being a voice in the community and we will
continue to abuse you in the future by making you test new stuff and
tell us how to improve the software and community experience :)

Cheers

Paul