[mapguide-users] Fusion Load Time (was: Fusion + Oracle datasource problem)

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Thu Aug 21 14:53:16 EDT 2008

If you are using the SVN version, you may also want to use the Ant build
system to compile your Fusion install into a single compressed binary.
For production sites, it's recommended to write your
ApplicationDefinition out to a file and include this in the build as
well.

This is easier than it sounds (if you're running from SVN) and makes a
real difference in load time.

If you don't already have one, download a current JDK (SE) package from
Sun.

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

Most versions appear to work; I'm currently using JDK5.  Ensure that
this is the first Java on the path and, maybe, set JAVA_HOME.  You can
do this temporarily as part of your build routine too (I am, so I don't
mess up my Oracle drivers).

Next download the Ant binaries:

http://ant.apache.org/bindownload.cgi

and place in a top-level folder like C:\Ant\

Finally, obtain the YUI compressor

http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/compressor/

>From the author's website

http://www.julienlecomte.net/yuicompressor/

and unzip it in a top-level folder like C:\YUI\

Now, go to your SVN repository and modify the YUIcompressor property to
point to the location of your jar:

http://trac.osgeo.org/fusion/browser/trunk/build.xml#l92

With this in place, you're ready to build.  In my case I mapped a drive
to my Fusion checkout, and opened a command window on my PC pointing to
that directory.  Following the instructions on the Fusion wiki

http://trac.osgeo.org/fusion/wiki/ANTBuildSystem

I typed:

ant singlefile

This seemed to go well, so I deleted the build directory and typed

Ant singlefile -DappDef=x:/myapp/applicationdefinition.xml

This also worked well.

Because I am running my test site directly against SVN, I copied the
FusionSF-compressed.js (or something like that) file from the build
directory back into the main fusion/lib directory, and pointed my
template to it.  Load time decreased significantly.

I've been meaning to add this to the Fusion wiki; just haven't had time
to write it up and test it yet.  Now I'm half done J

Jason

From: Andrew DeMerchant
Subject: Re: [mapguide-users] Fusion + Oracle datasource problem

What sort of webserver are you running? I'm using IIS5, and just enabled
compression using FlatCompression (www.flatcompression.org) and it has
dramatically sped up my initial load times for Fusion....