Re[mapguide-users] commendation for getting started:

Krunoslav a_krunoslav at gmx.net
Fri Jul 18 18:11:03 EDT 2008

Here is the task:

To develop web viewer for existing dwg files, and to build desktop
application for editing features. Since my other application developers are
good at Java, I'm considering next approach:

Cleaning up drawings and preparing them for exporting into database
- Autodesk Map

Database:
- Oracle XE, or Oracle 11, Haris Kurtagic's FDO Tools for Oracle and his
Oracle provider

Development enviroment for Java desktop application:
- uDig

Web authoring
- Maestro

Mapserver:
- MGOS, of course :)

So, users should be able to have web viewer, and administrators should have
desktop application for editing datasets from Oracle (geometry and data).
Since Mapguide currently doesn't have editing feature, we would develop new
application from scratch, based on uDig in Java enviroment.

Is this good approach or would you suggest something else? Does anyone have
any experience with uDig and editing Oracle spatial data (i know this is
offtopic here)? Any other good solutions?