[mapguide-users] Beginner looking for advice from GIS experts!

Martin Morrison martin.morrison at edsi.com
Fri Jul 25 12:21:09 EDT 2008

Joe,

While I don't have any direct links, it may be best to read some generic
GIS information first.  Get a handle on what a map projection is, how
they are used, etc.  A nationwide GIS system has to be given some basic
thought to which coordinate system to use.  After you have a basic
understanding of how they work, then start learning about the different
data formats.  E.G. .SHP files are ESRI Shape files and they include
other files with it (DBF,SHX,PRJ, etc.).  SDF is Autodesk's Spatial Data
Format.  Learn the differences between SHP and SDF.  Learn a bit about
some the database providers and there capabilities as they relate to
GIS.  Oracle Spatial, SQL Server, MySQL, PostGIS.  Then start reading
about Mapguide (getting started guide etc.) some of the terms and
technology will then start to make sense.

Thanks,
Martin