[mapguide-users] Render services image formats

Trevor Wekel trevor.wekel at autodesk.com
Thu Mar 20 13:20:21 EDT 2008

Hi Gary,

It is a well known fact that JPG introduces compression artifacts at hard image boundaries.  I suspect this will happen with text and labels.  PNG32 (just PNG in MapGuide) is a lossless compression format so there will be no artifacts introduced.

PNG8 is also lossless if have less that 256 colors in the image.  If you have tens of thousands of colors, there could be loss of detail.  I haven't tried this personally but rendering text and other vector data on top of detailed raster imagery could result in loss of detail.  When we convert to PNG8, we use a palette optimized for the image.  However, the detailed raster imagery will probably get more of the palette since it occupies more image pixels than the vector imagery.

If you are using raster base imagery, have you tried moving the base imagery into a tiled base layer?  The tiled base layer and "normal" layers are returned in separate map requests.  This would give you two independent color spaces and may improve the readability of text and labels.

Thanks,
Trevor