[mapguide-users] Unmanaged Performance

Zac Spitzer zac.spitzer at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 18:26:28 EDT 2008

There's a bug about it here http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/ticket/175

It's not just SHP files which are affected, SDF suffers as well

Because of this bug, I always avoid using directory datasources,
create an individual
featuresource per file.

It doesn't really matter so much with only a few files, but it slows
down exponentially
the more gets added. I work with some maps which are so complex that I
had to increase
the PHP memory from 64MB to 128MB just for the fusion viewer in MapGuide to work

As usual with performance, if it ain't broke don't fix! but if you are
seeing real heavy
disk I/O with unmanaged resources, switching to managed resources is
going to ease
the load.

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 5:29 AM, JeffJensen <jefferyjjensen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Andrew and Jason,
>
> Again thanks for sharing your experience on this.
>
> I like the idea of using unmanaged data sets but I'm not sure if this will
> slow down MapGuide. According to the web log at
> http://zacster.blogspot.com/2008/10/mapguide-performance-tips.html #3 Always
> use Managed Resources, that is SDF's uploaded into the repository.
>
> If you haven't seen any changes in MapGuide performance between unmanaged
> and manage SDF/SHP files, then yes, I would like to run with your advice and
> use unmanaged data sets.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Jeff Jensen
>
> JasonBirch wrote:
>>
>> My personal recommendation is to back up the entire repository.  The
>> recovery time of putting the managed data back in the correct locations
>> by ResourceID is not going to be trivial.
>>
>> If you're looking to reduce backup size, you may want to look into using
>> unmanaged data sets where possible.  This allows you to point to the
>> data outside of the MapGuide repository.  Basically, you just set up an
>> alias in your serverconfig.ini file (or through the MapGuide admin) and
>> refer to data sets from that location when setting up new data sources.
>>
>> Jason

Zac Spitzer -
http://zacster.blogspot.com (My Blog)
+61 405 847 168