[mapguide-users] PNG/PNG8 question regarding overlay transparency

gingerbbm stuart.jones at jacobs.com
Mon Oct 27 06:00:27 EDT 2008

Dear all

A while back I saw a tip that suggested changing from PNG to PNG8, so I
updated serverconfig.ini accordingly. That resulted in smaller file sizes
for my tiles but they were being overlaid with one big white image, i.e. not
a very useful map! So I changed the line in ajaxmappane.templ so that the
call to GETDYNAMICMAPOVERLAYIMAGE uses PNG8 and now my overlay is working,
but the transparency of the features contained within the overlay has been
lost.

Using "PNG" in both serverconfig.ini and ajaxmappane.templ:

http://n2.nabble.com/file/n1381702/mg_png.png

Using "PNG8" in both serverconfig.ini and ajaxmappane.templ:

http://n2.nabble.com/file/n1381702/mg_png8.png

What am I missing? Is what I want to do actually possible? Please don't make
me revert to JPEGs!

Thanks
Stuart