[mapguide-users] How to use Java (JSP) development with IIS

Maksim Sestic max at geoinova.com
Mon Sep 8 09:25:29 EDT 2008

Totally agree. I really have no idea why Microsoft dropped J# from VS2005
onwards, but I'm not an expert on MS's strategies anyways:

(Visual J# Developer Center)

"...Retirement of J# language and Java Language Conversion Assistant from
future versions of Visual Studio

Since customers have told us that the existing J# feature set largely meets
their needs and usage of J# is declining, Microsoft is retiring the Visual
J# product and Java Language Conversion Assistant tool to better allocate
resources for other customer requirements. The J# language and JLCA tool
will not be available in future versions of Visual Studio. To preserve
existing customer investments in J#, Microsoft will continue to support the
J# and JLCA technology that shipped with Visual Studio 2005 through to 2015
as per our product life-cycle strategy..."

It's a pitty since I was so willing to maintain direct JTS/JSC .NET port
(http://code.google.com/p/tf-net/wiki/TfNet2Preview), all of it based on VS
premises. Still, without proper VS IDE support it's close to impossible.

BTW, there's a neat MG code sample named Scribble by Dennis Jonio
(http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/wiki/CodeSamples/ASP.Net/ScribbleApp)
involving a short guide to IKVM.NET (http://www.ikvm.net/). IKVM represents:
- A Java Virtual Machine implemented in .NET
- A .NET implementation of the Java class libraries
- Tools that enable Java and .NET interoperability