[mapguide-users] Two performance questions

gingerbbm stuart.jones at jacobs.com
Fri Feb 20 06:16:17 EST 2009

Dear all

I've spent a while looking at the documentation, white papers, blogs and
mailing lists in order to try and get a bit more performance out of our
MGE2009 Windows installation using SDFs. We need to seed a tile cache with
many tiles and the predicted execution times are very large. I have two
questions:

1. Is there anything I can do to tweak ISAPI in the same way as is suggested
for FastCGI? I suppose not because when I run Zac's seeder, Task Manager is
showing all eight cores being utilised equally.

2. Is there any advantage in loading our SDFs into a repository? At the
moment they're just external. This page...

http://sandbox.mapguide.com/index.php/Managed_versus_Unmanaged_Resources
http://sandbox.mapguide.com/index.php/Managed_versus_Unmanaged_Resources

...says "In general the performance of managed and unamanaged resources are
the same", but Zac on his blog at...

http://zacster.blogspot.com/2008/10/mapguide-performance-tips.html
http://zacster.blogspot.com/2008/10/mapguide-performance-tips.html

...says "Always use Managed Resources, that is SDF's uploaded into the
repository".

And as a follow-on, how does the size of the SDFs affect performance when
loaded and external? We're currently playing with some external ones of
around 6GB (which work fine).

Appreciate your thoughts on all this.

Thanks
Stuart