[mapguide-users] Posting Guidelines

Andy Morsell amorsell at spatialgis.com
Thu Jun 18 14:49:45 EDT 2009

Agreed.  We had started a technical FAQ's section awhile back, but
contribution to it was low.  And, I can't even find that page anymore
because it was on the old Wiki.  Another problem is that information is so
scattered that it can be very difficult for new users to comprehensively put
it all together and get going.  This includes both internal resources and
various external pages that miscellaneous people have created.  For
instance, my MGOS install includes information from the main MGOS site, from
the FDO wiki for GDAL configuration, from a few scattered posts in Nabble
such as Jason's GDAL patch, from some manual code changes to Fusion from
notes that reside in Fusion Trac tickets, and so on.  It's pretty crazy when
you think about it.  No wonder it can be so difficult for new users to get
started!

A consolidation of these internal and external resources on the OSGeo site
and creating a dedicated "getting started" page would be a good first step.
Then, making this page VERY obvious from the main MGOS page and encouraging
people to contribute.  I would be willing to take an initial stab at this.
Who else would like to be involved?  From there, we can move the discussion
off-list.

Andy