[mapguide-users] Tiled map doesn't render as GIF

Trevor Wekel trevor_wekel at otxsystems.com
Mon Apr 19 12:42:15 EDT 2010

Currently, GIF is not supported for tiles. PNG8 can be used as an alternative.  When the tile service was being developed, the Unisys and IBM patents on LZW compression had not expired.  This made generating GIF images without a license "problematic".

As far as I know, the original LZW patents expired a couple of years ago.  There is still an open question on additional patents related to LZW improvements.  PNG and PNG8 have never been restricted by patents and are much safer to use from a legal standpoint.

If anyone has more insight into GIF legalities, please feel free to share.  If GIF is truly free now, we should probably log a defect/enhancement for tiled GIF support.

Regards,
Trevor