[mapguide-users] Database Comparisons/Reviews/Recommendations

Gabriele Monfardini gabrimonfa at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 05:35:27 EDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 10:33, Jason Birch <jason at jasonbirch.com> wrote:
> This is somewhat irrelevant, but for history's sake:
> Both of these providers were initially written by the same person and funded
> jointly by Refractions Research and the City of Nanaimo. The original
> developer hit a wall with the Generic RDBMS framework (used for the MySQL,
> SQL Server Spatial and ODBC providers) as he was nearing the home stretch
> and started over.  Unfortunately, this led to a resource crunch and this
> second attempt never reached the desired level of stability despite some
> valiant efforts by subsequent maintainers.
> Autodesk recently dusted off the code from first abandoned attempt, added
> the features that were required for it to be usable, and made it stable.
>  I'm really glad that they chose to take this on, and am happy to see that
> FDO (and MapGuide) now have a decent answer for PostGIS users.

Not to consider the fact that also OGR provider recompiled with
support to PostgreSQL is a viable solution.
OGR support to PostgreSQL is mature and stable, is used also in many
other FLOSS projects.

If you are using Linux, right now this is the best solution for
PostgreSQL/PostGIS since PostGIS provider does not yet work correctly
due to some compiling issues (that are probably solved in short).

Regards,

Gabriele