[mapguide-users] Is their a major flaw with theming point data?

Dave Wilson dave.wilson at autodesk.com
Wed Feb 17 11:19:02 EST 2010

Glad you guys highlighted this as I was going to follow up. Using expressions to calculate and render the stylization makes it difficult without walking the data to know what needs to be rendered and as was pointed out, you can't really do this on large datasets. Secondly if we were to apply this logic to features then their labels likely have to be included and that just makes for more processing overhead.

One somewhat workable solution might be to provide a LAYER SPECIFIC "extent buffer" or "overpost" (as Craig mentioned), that the author can specify on the layer definition or maybe the map (I'm not sure which is the best place for it from a server processing perspective). This value would actually query x% more than the current map extent so as to include features outside the visible area. Not a perfect solution, but if you know your stylization bounds you can probably get most of your desired features to appear. Alternately the buffer could be a value representing how many extra tile rows around the visible map extent to query and render instead of a percent (I like this better because at low scale values the percentages would be less accurate). Because this is layer specific you'd end up only setting it on 1 or 2 layers so that the whole map doesn't take the extra performance hit of returning unnecessary data. I don't see this as an ideal solution, but sufficient in most cases. A user could come up with some really large values for the use case presented and again if an expression is used there may be odd data points this doesn't cover properly.

Any thoughts on this? Maybe there is a better technical solution I'm not seeing.

Dave