[mapguide-users] SQL Server 2008 views and fdo again

Brent Robinson brent.robinson at autodesk.com
Tue Feb 23 13:54:14 EST 2010

Hi,

Tickets 469 and 470 have been fixed in FDO 3.4 but after 3.4.1. Therefore, these fixes will be present in FDO 3.5. There might be a future 3.4.2 release, which would contain the fixes, but there is no definite plan yet. The ticket 470 fix is required for the clustered index fix to work. Without it, the SQLServerSpatial provider ignores any indexes on views. It sounds like you have a workaround for the short term but if you'd like to try out these fixes before 3.4.2 or 3.5, we could arrange to get you a patched provider.

The config doc alternative is a lot more complicated, but fortunately, you won't need a feature source for each layer, since the config doc can specify multiple classes. One approach, which would minimize the work would be to create 2 feature sources for your datastore.

	- one feature source would have a config doc that defines classes only for the views whose identity
	properties need to be specified via the config document. This feature source would only be used when
	creating a layer for one of these views. When the underlying schema changes, the changes must also be
	reflected in the config document. Therefore, limiting the number of classes it contains, limits the
	amount of required changes to the config document going forward.

	- a second feature source with no config doc. This would be used for accessing all other views and
	tables in the datastore.

One question about the examples below. Does tablea have a primary key or unique index? For the first view:

	create view v1 as select col1, col2, geog from tablea;

any index on the view would be ignored (in FDO 3.4.1 and before), but if the table has a primary key or unique index then it will be used to determine the view's identity. This will happen as long as the view is based on a single table. For the other view:

	create view v1 as select col1 as Column1, col2 as Column2, geog as geog from
	tablea;

the provider does a sanity check to ensure that the primary key or unique index columns are present in the view. The check is done by name so, if col1 or col2 are in the key, the column aliasing fools it into thinking they are not in the view, and the key is not used to determine the view's identity. The SQL Server data dictionary tracks view->table dependencies but I'm not sure if there's something similar for dependencies between individual columns. For this reason, the provider falls back to relying on names. For FDO 3.4.2 and after, the clustered index should work for this view.

Brent.