[mapguide-users] SQL Server 2008 views and fdo again

carc ca at forteconsulting.ca
Tue Jan 12 18:41:47 EST 2010

Just a quick update. Owing to time constraints we have shelved using views
with joins and gone with a called stored procedure, populate temp table
approach (shudder...it is 2010!) Even once we decided to go with this
approach we hit some surprising road blocks that took us awhile to track
down. In the end the culprit turned out to be column aliases in the view
definition.

So this works:

create view v1 as select col1, col2, geog from tablea;

Assuming you also create a unique clustered key on the view.

This does not work:

create view v1 as select col1 as Column1, col2 as Column2, geog as geog from
tablea;

Even with the clustered unique index on the view this does not work.

As surprising as it seems that is what we concluded. If we have more time in
the future we may dig a little more into using the config document to solve
the problem even though I am not that hyped on the idea of creating a
feature source for every layer.

Thanks for the tips Jason.

CA