[mapguide-users] RE: Points from Sql/ODBC data source not showing

soudemans soudemans at ruekert-mielke.com
Thu Dec 8 17:18:39 EST 2011

Ok, we are getting closer.  That simple join I talked about has been
resolved.  There are a lot of contributing variables that at some point
today kind of came together, so I hope I will be able to cover the important
ones.  I managed to create both a spatial data source (ArcSDE Provider) and
a non-spatial (ODBC Provider) to the SQL Server V.2005  Then I figured out
how to create the join.  It was painful, but here are some of the things I
learned: (so far, there is more to come)

1: There is some kind of issue between Mapguide Studio 2010 (not Maestro)
and Mapguide OS V.2.2.  I am not sure what it is, but at some point I
started trying the things that were not working on the Mapguide OS Server on
our Mapguide 2010 Server and they worked.

2: The previewer of the Feature Source, Layer and Map tabs or window can't
always represent what you have done.  So the only way to see the result of
your changes it is to preview it in the Layout tab or to view it directly on
the web.  To be specific I was able to preview the following theme filter:
    MonthsNotCleaned <= 60 AND WorkType IN('Maintenance', 'Televising')
But not:
    (MonthsNotCleaned <= 60 AND WorkType IN('Maintenance', 'Televising')) OR
    (MonthsNotCleaned <= 3 AND WorkType IN('Grease', 'Trouble')) OR
    (MonthsNotCleaned <= 12 AND WorkType = 'Root Cutting')

3: At some point and based on some of your suggestions I had tried to do
these kind of calculations in SQL views, both spatial and non-spatial.  I
found that the available FDO drivers were fickle at best.  I don't know what
caused them to behave the way they did, but it took me nearly 3 days to
figure out how to get a fairly simple JOIN to work.  I think there are too
many conditions under which the drivers fail which means that for an average
user the interface is to complicated and that the documentation is grossly
insufficient (I think Autodesk would do well to "really" document their
drivers before they release them as freebies.  It almost seemed like they
did this to get someone else to take on the responsibility of documenting
the usage of their drivers.)  The point I was trying to make here was that I
ended of doing the joins and theme calculations (Filters) in Mapguide Studio
instead of trying to prep the data ahead of time.

4: SQL views with complicated calculations like shown in the post, of Dec 6,
2011; 3:36pm, above may not be supported by the FDO drivers.  Though I did
get the table to show in the data source preview, the results of the
calculated field was always null

I think that is it for now.  If there are any other points I will amend this
post.  Now that this part is solved I can go back to working on capturing
and displaying point data through the Mapguide web user interface.  I have
abandoned my attempts at displaying captured point coordinates and will try
to do the same using a spatial data set, though how I am going to capture
that spatial data at the client's interface is a problem that I have yet to
solve.  Wish me luck, and if you have done anything like this I would be
delighted to hear about it.