[mapguide-users] RE: MGE performance. It's soooooo Slllllllooooooowwww

frosty1_4me kbowman at cityofgp.com
Thu Mar 10 12:00:02 EST 2011

Just to follow up a little more with this issue.  Another huge performance
gain we just realized was after we changed the order in which some of our
code functions were firing.  The biggest gain we seen was on the highlight
function we have in place on our site.

When searching on objects in the map, previously we would zoom to the
location of the object, highlight it, then check to see if the layer was on
or not and turn it on.  This for whatever reason caused a very big
performance hit.   We changed the order in which this was executing (not to
solve the performance issue, but for something else and noticed the pleasant
side of effect of improved speed) and since doing so the map is 10 fold
faster.

The order we execute that in now is:

- turnon layer first
- then highlight the object
- lastly zoom to the object

So, I just thought I would let you all know (if you didn't already) that the
order in which some of these functions we are executing really does make a
difference in performance even though we didn't change the actualy code that
make up those functions.