[mapguide-users] mg-desktop: A desktop implementation of the MapGuide API

Jackie Ng jumpinjackie at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 11:37:28 EDT 2011

Hi All,

This has been an on/off personal project since the beginning of this year
that has reached the stage where I think it is adequately usable.

mg-desktop is an implementation of the MapGuide API, it provides all the
necessary components for data access (MgFeatureService), rendering and
stylization (MgRenderingService)

mg-desktop also includes a pure WinForms-based map viewer that can be
embedded in your own .net applications. The mg-desktop zip distribution
contains a test application (MapViewerTest.exe) that shows this viewer
component in action.

mg-desktop supports packages allowing easy transfer of data and resources
from a MapGuide Server.

A draft RFC (#117) has been proposed to put the source code for mg-desktop
into the official MapGuide svn repo:

http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/wiki/MapGuideRfc117

You can download the source and/or binaries from the Google code site:

http://code.google.com/p/mg-desktop/

You can find more information about mg-desktop from that Google Code site,
the RFC117 proposal or my introductory blog entry:

http://themapguyde.blogspot.com/2011/09/taking-mapguide-beyond-server-and-web.html

mg-desktop serves as the backbone for the new Local Connection mode feature
in the next release of Maestro (4.0)

- Jackie