[mapguide-users] Re: fusion viewer performance vs basic viewer

Trevor Wekel trevor_wekel at otxsystems.com
Fri Sep 23 12:39:27 EDT 2011

I agree with Jackie's comments.  Modern browsers - Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer 9, and to some extent even Safari on iPad and iPhone can handle fairly heavyweight javascript applications like Fusion and OpenLayers.  Internet Explorer 8 and below have poor javascript processing capabilities and are less effective with Fusion and OpenLayers.

I have been discussing a next generation MapGuide Viewer with a few of my clients.  I would like to incorporate the following features into a new viewer:

- Client side handling of properties and tooltip display without a round trip to the server
- Client side rendering of vector data
- Support for 2.5D rendering (perspective and elevation).  This would be a "stretch" goal.

Moving more of the processing client side will improve scalability and end user performance.  This is what "old MapGuide" did and it worked.

This new viewer should support all required browsers and mobile devices.  If we specifically exclude Internet Explorer 8 (IE8) and below, we could leverage Javascript/SVG/HTML5 to create a new viewer.  If we still need to support IE8, then we would have to use Adobe Flash/AIR.  From a development perspective, dropping IE8 and using OpenLayers/Fusion as the base for a new viewer would be the fastest path to implementation.  As far as I know, 3D is not on the OpenLayers roadmap.  Adobe Flash/AIR does support 3D.

I would be surprised if Autodesk was working on this internally and even more surprised if they open sourced it.  However, we do have enough developers in the open source community that could collaborate on and deliver a project like this.

If the community gets behind MapGuide (financially), it will not die.  In fact, it would be an even bigger asset to your GIS/Geospatial business.  No licensing fees do matter, especially in a contracting economic environment.

Regards,
Trevor