[mapguide-users] Search for a feature based on feature ID

ddriver drunkdriv3r at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 14:06:40 EDT 2011

Hi,

I need some help setting up a search function on a MapGuide based web
application (PHP).
The application is running on an Apache server and the MapGuide version is
2.0

The map data comes from shp/dbf files. I have to search for a feature based
on it's number (ID column found in the dbf files).

The feature we are searching for may be found on one of several layers
(undergdound, level 1, level2).

So we have two input fields: the layer and the feature number. Upon
selecting the layer from a select box and entering the feature number we hit
the search button. If the feature is found, the map automatically positions
itself on top of the found feature and zooms in.

The application was built by a different person and now I have to complete
it by adding the search function.. but this is the first time I'm dealing
with the MapGuide platform and although I've read quite a few chunks from
the documentation, I'm still unsure about the right way to proceed with this
implementation.

What I don't yet undertand is how the actual mechanism of adding extra
functionality to MapGuide works, and how I can interact with the data the
map is built from in order to be able to search through it.

I'm also on a short time schedule which is why I'm asking for help instead
of digging by myself.

If anybody has the time and patience to write me a short tutorial containing
some code samples on how to implement the search function I'd really, really
appreciate it. Maybe it would help others too.

I know it's a problem that I could solve myself if I had more time to study
the documentation and I'm sorry if I'm asking for this kind of help in the
wrong place.. but my situation requires me to do so.