[mapguide-users] mapguide-rest feedback

Mark Volz (LeapCAD) mark at leap-cad.com
Thu Oct 23 16:40:32 PDT 2014

Jackie,

Firstly I would just like to say it's a very powerful tool kit. I've
implemented on a number of my clients sites. I've used it in a couple of
different ways;

Option 1
I have a containing page using jquery/dojo objects reading mapguide rest
url's for dynamic content & and an iframe for the map (just a tool bar
across the top). In the map iframe I have hooks into various mapwidget
events that control the URL's used by the different jquery/dojo objects in
the host page. i.e. select an object and the photo slider, impact analysis
report and cross section panel all dynamically update.

Option 2
Same setup as per option 1 but I have replaced many of the default mapguide
widgets with jquery/dojo ones (selection panel, legend, etc). very simple to
implement and made my long standing issue with the legend panel disappear (3
stage check boxes are wonderful!!).

Option 3
Simple image creation. The basic requirement of producing an image for
polygon number 1234 at a scale of 1:50,000. Instead of approx. 200 lines of
PHP code (site connection, create session, get extents of objects, build
map, load a custom layer to highlight the polygon, print, close session.)
has turned into a single URL and some parameters in a json file. I have now
integrated this functionality with intelledox to automatically generate maps
and reports for environment impacts and emergency response plans.

Issues/tweaks I've had to make to the responses (pretty much all are just
string operations in php  code)
Calls to get the current list layers for the map;
1) would be nice if it include the link to generate the legend icon
2) would be nice if it also returned the sub styles as well as the layers

Calls against the current selection set;
1) would be nice if it returned only the fields that have been set/selected
for the layer ("layer properties visible in viewer" section in maestro)
rather than all fields.
2) a  variable (true/false) whether the geometry records should be returned.

And one extra really, really nice tool would be a utility that created a
smarty template for KML by reading a layer definition.

Thanks again for developing this tool kit.

Mark

P.S. a donation is on your way once I get paid for some of these sites.