[mapguide-users] Additional monitoring of MapGuide

Gunter Becker gunter.becker at csogis.de
Tue Oct 25 00:50:28 PDT 2016

Hi Hans,

I also had the suspicion, that expired sessions could cause some problems or
maybe lead to a crash of the server. IIS session timeout is already set to a
lower value then the session timeout of MapGuide and I've already kept them
both alive in our WebGIS. But, I've always realized session timeouts logged
in error.log since the beginning of MGOS. I suppose, that it belongs to
users who leave their computer for a while and when the computers operating
system switches into sleep mode the sessions couldn't kept alive anymore.
When the user starts working again afterwards, then a session timeout could
occur. I have up to 20 or 30 warnings in Windows application.log each day
that could be caused by this issue. Even more when the server crashes.
MapGuide error.log is usually flooded with session timeout errors each day,
so that it is hard to identify the "real" errors.

In a former MapGuide version (can't remember wich one) the user got a
message when a session timeout occurs. That way the user knew that he had to
restart the viewer. But this feature was removed for some reason, I can't
imagine.

Thanks, Gunter