[MapProxy] Request for comments: MapProxy Authorization Interface

Sandor Csaba sandor.csaba at viamap.hu
Thu Jan 27 05:40:41 EST 2011

Hi Oliver,

Right now we are experimenting with WSS of 52North in front of
mapproxy wms to get wms services authorized, but that is java and have
a few architectural issues with this.

They seem to support authentication from an xml file out-of-the-box.
It would be good to have an example, or basic auth backend that has
the same and lame users who are not python/wsgi experts (like me)
could have something out of the box to experiment with. I need to take
a close look at repoze.what getting started and configuring mapproxy
with wsgi though.

On the authorization side it would be really cool to be able to
restrict the user to a bbox. 52North WSS supports this on
getFeatureInfo requests and right know they are working on to support
on getMap as well.

Sorry for these not being very technical...

Regards,
Csaba

On 27 January 2011 09:38, Oliver Tonnhofer <olt at omniscale.de> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> we already implemented secured MapProxy installations. You won't find any traces of these in the MapProxy source code, because there was never a need to change a single line of MapProxy for that, thanks to the the power of WSGI (the thingy you configure in the .ini and start with `paster serve`) .
>
> You can implement simple authentication and authorization in an hour, if you are a bit familiar with WSGI and Python. See http://what.repoze.org/docs/1.0/Manual/GettingStarted.html for example.
>
> Right know we are working on a project where we need more control for what a user is allowed to do: User A is allowed to query Layer 1 and 2, User B is allowed to query Layer 1, but only GetMap requests and no FeatureInfo, etc. At the moment, this is not possible with MapProxy and we have to change that. But we don't want to hack that feature into MapProxy for just this specific project. We want you to be able to hook your own user database into MapProxy. We want to open MapProxy for custom authorization.
>
> We designed a simple but flexible interface to get control over MapProxy. There is a new chapter in the documentation that describes this interface in detail:
> http://mapproxy.org/docs/nightly/auth.html
> It is not finished and we might still change some parts of it.
>
> Why am I writing this mail? Because we want to get feedback from you! Now is the right time to add your wishes, ask questions to the design, write us your use cases for a secured MapProxy, ask if something would be possible, etc..
>
> So, if you are even slightly interested in secured map/tile services, then please read the new chapter and give your feedback.
>
> Regards,
> Oliver
>
> --
> Oliver Tonnhofer    | Omniscale GmbH & Co KG    | http://omniscale.de
> http://mapproxy.org | https://bitbucket.org/olt

Sándor Csaba
szolgáltatási vezető
ViaMap Kft.
Székhely/postacím: 1132 Budapest, Váci út 60-62.

Iroda: Hungária Malom Udvar
1093 Budapest, Soroksári út 48-54.
11. ép. 4. em. 404.

Tel: +3630/9605853