[MapProxy] MapProxy Seeding in a certain scale

Oliver Tonnhofer olt at omniscale.de
Thu Aug 8 08:07:22 PDT 2013

Hi Frank,

On 08.08.2013, at 12:04, Frank Broniewski wrote:
> TL;DR
> The scale isn't the scale and a screen doesn't have dots so it doesn't have DPI. Don't do scale dependant calculations on fictional units.

Thanks for writing down your thoughts about scales.

I share your opinion that only resolutions make sense in non-print application and that's the reason that MapProxy only accepts resolutions in all configuration[0] options.

Regarding DPI vs. PPI: PPI is technically correct, but I think educating the users to use resolutions is already hard enough.  :)

[0] There is min/max_scale as a convenience to min/max_res for WMS layers. But I regret it a bit for having two options for the same thing.

Oliver Tonnhofer    | Omniscale GmbH & Co KG    | http://omniscale.com
http://mapproxy.org | https://github.com/olt    | @oltonn