[MapProxy] gdal2tiles's geodetic profile and mapproxy

Lander, Steven steven.lander at rgi-corp.com
Mon Jul 8 10:34:08 PDT 2013

Greetings,

I recently made a rather large tile set using gdal2tiles.py in the following manner:

gdal2tiles.py -p geodetic -e -r near -z 20-21 source.tif destination/

This created tiles in the destination folder with a geodetic tile profile.  Unfortunately, I cannot seem to get the MapProxy GLOBAL_GEODETIC grid to show these tiles, no matter how I tweak it.

In the past I made my tile sets with gdal2tiles' default mercator profile and the MapProxy GLOBAL_MERCATOR grid displayed those tiles just fine.  The problem is, I need them in EPSG:4326, so I figure making them with the geodetic profile directly from gdal would have been more efficient.

My question is, how do I get MapProxy to recognize tiles made with gdal2tiles' geodetic profile?  I have checked the tile origin, double-checked the bounds, and verified the raw data in QGIS.  Is gdal2tiles math wrong for this?

Steven D. Lander, Software Engineer
Reinventing Geospatial, Inc
4035 Ridge Top Road, Suite 520
Fairfax, VA 22030