[MapProxy] MultiMapProxy - concerns about performanse and best approach

Ivan Pašić ivanpasic.zd at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 08:05:34 PST 2015

Hello,

I started using and exploring MapProxy recently and I really like it a lot,
it's very interesting and useful technology and it really fits my needs.
However, I am afraid that my lack of experience  could lead to some bad
habits and practices so I would appreciate your advice.

So, I managed to create simple configuration file, write some custom
middlewares and deploy the application, everything works fine.
But now I see that I would maybe need more then one configuration file.
Web GIS app that i develop would serve layers related to lot of different
projects (locations) and I would like to have separate .yaml file for each
of those locations instead of configuring all layers and sources in one
single file because very soon that one file could get very big and hard to
modify. Beside that I would like to dynamically edit those files using
pyyaml for example so it would probable be even harder. Furthermoe, I would
like to keep layers for each location somehow separated because it would
make things easier for some other parts of my application.
However, I am not sure if MultiMapProxy is really intended to be used for
such purposes and if it is, is there any limit in number of config files
that it could handle?
I read in documentation that I can create separate folder where I can put
all those files but do we speak here about 5-10 files or it can even be
used for example 50 to 100 files? Would there be performance issues in that
case? And is there maybe some better way to handle this? I am probably
missing something obvious here but I hope you will have patience to explain
me.

Thank you very much
Ivan