[MapProxy] Force PNG24 on single cache

Just van den Broecke just at justobjects.nl
Wed May 13 06:34:52 PDT 2015

Hi Oliver,

Your config is accepted and the MP WMS advertises both image/png and
image/png; mode=24bit in the capabilities. Both formats are accepted in
the GetMap request, but the WMS always returns PNG8 on both. No matter
the value of globals.image.paletted or the tile cache format.

The only way I can force PNG24 via the WMS is when
services.image_formats contains 'image/png' and globals.image.paletted:
false. PNG24 then is returned for all WMS image/png formats, regardless
if the underlying cache/tiles is/return PNG24 or PNG8...Similarly when
globals.image.paletted: true the WMS returns PNG8.

So to recap: explictly enforcing PNG8 or PNG24 on individual caches and
tile layers works ok using custom defs from globals.image.formats
('image/png; mode=24bit' or just 'image/png' for PNG24 have the same
effect, colors: 0 seems decisive in the png24 def). In that case
globals.image.paletted only has effect on the WMS GetMap PNG-format.

MapProxy 1.7.1 on Ubuntu 14.04, Python 2.7 Pillow 2.8.1.

best,

Just