[MapQuery] documentation time :)

Steven Ottens steven at minst.net
Wed Jul 6 12:46:55 EDT 2011

Hi Oliver,

On Jul 6, 2011, at 7:59 AM, Oliver Tonnhofer wrote:

> Hi Steven,
>
> On 05.07.2011, at 22:31, Steven Ottens wrote:
>> The question is, does anyone has an idea how to trigger actions after a commit to github?
>> Preferably all on GitHub, but I can imagine that they don't want to build other stuff, so we can do it another server (mine or osgeo or something)
>
> there are Service Hooks (Admin area of the project) and you can let GitHub call a URL after each push. I would suggest using Jenkins: You can get a URL to trigger new builds, fetch Git sources and run shell scripts. I'm building the nightly docs of MapProxy with Jenkins (http://ci.mapproxy.org/) and it was really easy to setup.

Thanks for the tip, it is indeed easy to setup. Being behind a firewall etc did make it slightly more difficult but it is working now.

So Jenkins is building after each push to https://github.com/mapquery/mapquery
What it currently does is:
-git pull from mapquery/mapquery
-git pull from mapquery/mapquery.github.com
-run jodoc-js on mapquery/src/*.js with the template from mapquery/docs
-put the result of jodoc in mapquery.github.com/docs
-copy mapquery/src, mapquery/demo, mapquery/tests to mapquery.github.com
-push mapquery.github.com with all the changes
-it will complain on IRC when something went wrong

Things to do:
-change the commit message to keep track of which build it comes from
-create a build.sh/modify getdeps.sh to get minified dependencies
-create a script to auto generate an index.html for demos (github doesn't do directory indexes)
-update mapquery.org to also include the tests, demos and docs
-possibly move jenkins to an outside server so more people can see what's happening and manage it

Things not to do:
-change anything in mapquery.github.com/src /demo /docs /tests /lib since they are all created/updated with jenkins and I don't know what happens if conflicts arise

Regards,
Steven