[mapserver-dev] Different WMS versions...

David Graham dgraham at i3.com
Tue Oct 1 11:58:58 EDT 2002

Steve,

That is the right way to go about it.  If mapserver was written in an
object oriented language, you would extend and override functions.  You
would likely then create a factory to generate the correct version of
the object to execute the commands.  Something like:

CapabilitiesDoc cd = CapablilitiesDocFactory.getDoc( Version v );

Not quite as graceful in C, but you can still capture some of the
concepts.  Instead of a factory you might have a couple of high level
functions that route the code path to various sets of functions.

Another aproach in C is pass the function pointers.  You can create a
function factory and pass back the function pointer required.  But I
find this to be messy (that is why there is C++) and can be difficult to
maintain (especially if you were not the original devleoper).

Just some thoughts.

Dave Graham

--
David W. Graham
Director of Geospatial Applications Development
dgraham at i3.com
http://www.i3.com