[Mapserver-dev] MapServer and OGC services

Paul Spencer spencer at dmsolutions.ca
Mon Apr 21 18:38:08 EDT 2003

Daniel,

regarding whether or not to use ows_* in the metadata, I think it really
depends on whether a title, abstract, etc needs to be different
depending on how the mapfile is accessed.  I personally think that this
metadata should have the same meaning to all services acessing it.  I
agree that it may be desirable to override the behaviour with a
service-specific prefix.  In general, however, using "title" will be a
lot more meaningful that "wms_title" and "wfs_title" or even
"ows_title".  WRT SRS, can the SRS be published at the map file level also?

A final suggestion for even more configurability/control/complexity,
although I am not keen on it.  Allow the user of the mapfile to
determine which metadata is published as what by providing a mechanism
through the web metadata object:
MAP
   WEB
     METADATA
       "wms_layer_title" "title"
       "wfs_layer_title" "title2"
     END
   END
   LAYER
     METADATA
       "title" "this is the wms title"
       "title2" "this is the wfs title"
     END
   END
END

this would have to have a default behaviour of always using a particular
metadata item for wms_title and wfs_title (say, "title" ;)) if not
specified.