[Mapserver-dev] New msCloneLayerObj() function

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Tue Feb 18 15:54:25 EST 2003

I'm not ready to say it's just for MapScript users. Mapscript.i
definitely needs
to leverage your new stuff. As do folks writing C code (yes, there are
a few
out there, and PHP/MapScript. MapServer proper needs it for a true
fast-cgi
support to work. There's definitely an audience.

mapfile.c is kinda messy any how. Functions once intended for internal
use
only (e.g. initLayer()) are now used elsewhere so now might be the
time
to clean up. Move all object specific files to one spot, and rename
functions
to fit the rest of the system, msInitLayer(), msFreeLayer() and
msCloneLayer.

That's what I would suggest but I'd really like to hear from others on
the
topic.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Data & Applications Manager

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

On Tuesday, February 18, 2003, at 11:15  AM, Steve Lime wrote:

> I'm worried about moving the copying code out of mapfile.c or a
least
> away from other code
> pertaining to a particular object type (i.e. layerObj). When making
> changes it means you have
> to make sure to remember to change mapfile.c and mapcopy.c, much
nicer
> to have all the
> code together. If mapfile.c is getting bulky I might suggest busting
it
> into parts like:
>
>   mapfile_layerObj.c
>   mapfile_scalebarObj.c
>
> with mapfile.c holding code for the main mapObj and the helper
> functions. Just a thought.
>
> Steve

Steve,

I haven't revised mapfile.c.

The code in mapcopy.c _does_ use many of the functions in mapfile.c,
so maybe it belongs with that file.  I made a new file only because
I didn't want to run roughshod over mapfile.c and because the stuff
I'm writing will likely never be used in mapserv itself.

Which leads me to a question: if it's only for mapscript users,
maybe the solution is a new swig interface file to accompany
mapscript.i?

I'm easy, and will readily go with your call.  Wherever the code
goes, and whether we call the functions *Copy* or *Clone* (there's
already some precedence) is fine with me.

Sean