[Mapserver-dev] Thread safe issue

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Thu Feb 27 15:59:31 EST 2003

It's an issue with John Ellson's GD/FreeType code. I remember it when
fixing a few things in his code. The font cache was definitely a global
structure.

John Newton wrote:
> In several version of gd.lib we have noticed that gdImageStringTTF()
is not
> thread safe due to font caching logic.
>
> Could a new TLOCK be added to protect calls to gdImageStringTTF()?
>
> thanks,
> John Newton

John,

Are you willing to test it if I commit changes to CVS to protect all
gdImageStringTTF calls with a lock?  Note that thanks to Dylan we now
have
a gd support contract, and if there are any threading issues in gd that
people
need fixed we could pursue the issue with the maintainer.   In this
case, I
assume the problem is down in the freetype library, so it likely isn't
worth
bugging the gd maintainer.

warmerdam at pobox.com
and watch the world go round - Rush    | Geospatial Programmer for
Rent