[Mapserver-dev] Re: mapserver bug

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Sep 17 22:09:57 EDT 2003

Alan Steremberg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The mapraster.c file doesn't seem to pay attention to whether the PNGs are
> true color, before trying to fish inside the pixel buffer (and it
> crashes).
>
> Is this fixed in the CVS tree, or should I fix the implementation to
> handle loading truecolor images from gd?
>
> I am still not sure if I want to be in 8bit or 24bit mode eventually.. but
> this seems like a bug.

Alan,

You are referring to the drawPNG() code, right?  Yes, I imagine you are right
and it should be fixed or at least a clean error message produced.  I would
suggest you create a bugzilla entry for the issue, and if you are prepared
to create a patch for it note that in the bug report so no one else works on it.

I don't normally run into this myself because if GDAL is enabled it should be
used in preference to the drawPNG() code *I think*.  The drawGDAL() code
for PNG would handle the different modes and also extra rendering options,
so it isn't worth our putting too much effort into the "legacy" drawPNG()
code.  However, a clean fix in drawPNG() would be nice if you don't mind
doing it.