[Mapserver-dev] Feature Questions..

woodbri at swoodbridge.com woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Sat Sep 27 11:22:03 EDT 2003

Alan,

Most people do this with a little PHP/Mapscript. There have been a
few examples posted where people have point in a database and do a
query based on map extents to get the point then place them on the
map with labels. It is easy to also then add the list of points with
appropriate field info onto the page. Mapscript also allow you to get
or calc the location of the points in image coordinates so
calculating a bbox about the point is simple so you can create an
image map also.

If your concern is performance of loading php+mapscript over loading
mapserver the former probably has a little additional overhead, but
it is much easier to maintain a few mapscript apps, than to merge
custom changes into mapserver unless you are thinking about extending
the core mapserver CVS.

Also, add the markers is probably much less overhead than doing the
additional query.

Just my 2 cents,
  -Steve W.