[Mapserver-dev] Feature Questions..

jorodrig at sfwmd.gov jorodrig at sfwmd.gov
Mon Sep 29 07:28:18 EDT 2003

HI,
I am getting in on this a bit late but just wanted to point out
somethings that may be useful that I have done with Mapserver with and
with out phpmapscript.

First of all, you do not have to use the XY to query always.  In my
case, I click on a feature on the mapserver map and pass this to my
query directly.
My project builds a map from shape files, my users clicks on a well
designated as a point and I grab the well id, pass it to my Oracle
query and draw graphs on the fly with data from my DB.

How do I get the well id without all the XY coords processing?
I get it from the  METADATA "RESULT_FIELDS" "WELL_NAME".

I use phpmapscript as it is great to interact with Mapserver but you
could get by without it.  The METADATA RESULTS are easily displayed
via a Browser too.  Since you could get this from html, you could so
just about anything with it as far as processing based on the user
selection.

Hope this helps
Joseph