[Mapserver-dev] Any experience with SQL Relay?

Sean Gillies sgillies at frii.com
Fri Jun 18 12:46:26 EDT 2004

On Jun 18, 2004, at 10:21 AM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> Sean Gillies wrote:
>> I'm looking into whether SQL Relay
>>    http://sqlrelay.sourceforge.net/
>> would be useful for improving MapServer connections to PostGIS.
>> Anyone have any experience with this software?  Any reason
>> why I couldn't implement a PostGIS driver that would connect
>> to an external SQL Relay connection pool?
>
> Sean,
>
> My understanding is that the connection cost for PostGIS is negligable.
> However, it might be of great interest to do this for Oracle and ODBC
> connections.
>
> Best regards,

Frank, for us it is as much about DB replication and fine control
over the number of connections, but our analysis also says that the
negligible cost is starting to add up in our app.

I've only started to look into it.  If I decide to start work I'll
CC you on the bugzilla issue and we can see about Oracle and ODBC.

cheers,
Sean

--
Sean Gillies