[Mapserver-dev] IGNORE_MISSING_DATA - make this dynamic?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Oct 20 16:26:46 EDT 2004

Folks,

Currently we have a macro called IGNORE_MISSING_DATA that if defined
causes MapServer to quietly proceed if some raster files or shapefiles are
not found that are expected (such as those from a tileindex, or the main
DATA file for a layer).  It would appear, at least on Unix, that this symbol
is normally defined meaning that most mapserver binaries are very forgiving
(but not terribly informative) about layers with missing files.

I feel that having it as a compile time directive makes it harder for folks
who just receive binaries to control this behaviour.  Also, having it
turned on by default makes it harder for folks to debug problems in their
maps as they work.

I would like to suggest getting rid of the macro, and instead having a
layer or map level directive (via PROCESSING or CONFIG) to control this
dynamically.  Furthermore, I would like the default be to error-out on
missing data, so the user who anticipates this happening sometimes would
have to add the directive to get the more forgiving behaviour.

Any thoughts on this?  Is this a feature that should be put off till after
the 4.4 release?  Should I just forget the idea?