[Mapserver-dev] Modularizing mapserver

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Sep 16 12:54:31 EDT 2004

Sean Gillies wrote:

> Currently, every file is lumped under mapserver/ and every file
> is a build target that may or may not have an #ifdef bracketing
> its code.  Wouldn't it be better to handle conditional compilation
> of packages (such as PDF, iamgemap, SWF) in the makefile than in
> the source?

Better? It depends on who you ask. Steve's approach to dealing with
optional components in MapServer has been to always compile every file,
and use #ifdefs to disable the code and provide stub functions for
disabled components. That didn't seem natural for me at first either,
but I got used to it, and I don't see any problem with that approach, so
as usual I would say:"if it ain't broken don't touch it"... and vote
against that change... unless someone can demonstrate that there are
real issues with this approach of course.

  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca