SWIG and PHP MapScript

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at DMSOLUTIONS.CA
Tue Aug 2 10:54:24 EDT 2005

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> Kevin Ruland has been doing substantial updates to the PHP support
> in SWIG which is otherwise in quite poor shape with regard to PHP.
> He is doing this initially for the sake of building GDAL PHP bindings.
>
> I wonder if we might be interested in picking this up for use with
> mapserver mapscript as well.

It would be nice to be able to switch to using SWIG for PHP, but the
switch cannot happen quickly for sure due to the large amount of
existing PHP scripts and apps that would need to be reworked. We may
have to continue to maintain both versions for a little while.

Another concern is that before we make the switch we would need to be
assured that support for PHP in SWIG will not be abandoned again like
what happened with the initial implementation.

Kevin has offered to make his SWIG patches available for testing. If
anyone (Bill?) tests them before we do then we would definitely be
interested hearing how well PHP MapScript works.

  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca