Using .map file as a raster layer source

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at GMAIL.COM
Thu Aug 25 11:07:31 EDT 2005

On 8/25/05, Sean Gillies <sgillies at frii.com> wrote:
> Neither of you say it, but to me this seems to be sorta like an inline
> WMS. I like the idea, and we should see about fitting it into the
> proposed new layer architecture.

Sean,

It is indeed a bit like an inlined WMS, though it also, potentially,
is benefiting from the tile index.

However, I see it as orthagonal to the layer plugin proposal which
is really about making the layer *feature* access plugable.   It does
not address other aspects of layers, such as the Draw interface
which is still based on the layer TYPE.   In this case this is a
special case in the TYPE RASTER tileindex processing.

Actually, Tamas, does the mapfile name have to come from a
tileindex?  I don't see why it shouldn't be possible to have a single
mapfile listed in the DATA argument instead of having to use the
tileindex.  This would be in keeping with how other files work.