Fuzzy brushes...

Thu Dec 15 17:32:16 EST 2005

Ed: I checked the source and the problem:

  "However, if the polygon is filled, the WIDTH is ignored - all outlines are the same thickness."

The code is behaving as intended. Outlinecolor with a color set will always just get you a 1-pixel
outline. Fat outlines are achieved by adding the second style with no color, but outlinecolor and
width set. It can get confusing. The problem is that width is used for other line thinkness issues
related to polygon fills. For example:

  - with a vector symbol width will get you fatter lines in the created tile (while size gets you bigger
tiles)

  - with a hatch symbol width gets you fatter lines (and size gets you more space between lines)

In those cases the outlinecolor can't use width. I guess I figured it would be more consistent as
it is. I don't think I'll change that behaviour for the 4.8 release.

MapServer symbolization is pretty flexible, perhaps too flexible, so there are a billion possibilites.

Steve

>>> Ed McNierney <ed at TOPOZONE.COM> 12/15/05 11:53 AM >>>
Steve -

There's clearly something going on if you try to draw an antialiased
border around a polygon that is NOT filled.  If I take my simple polygon
example and use this style:

STYLE
  WIDTH 1
  COLOR 0 0 255
  OUTLINECOLOR 255 0 0 0
  ANTIALIAS TRUE
END

then I get what I expect, a thin antialiased red line around blue
polygons.  But if I omit the COLOR statement (to get a thin antialiased
red line around a hollow polygon) the red line is thicker; probably
equal to a WIDTH 3 or something.  However, if the polygon is filled, the
WIDTH is ignored - all outlines are the same thickness.  If the polygon
is not filled, the line is thicker than I expect, but it does respect
the WIDTH, and larger numbers produce wider lines.

On the bright side, the line is now drawn in the right color!

These are pretty simple test cases - let me know if you need output or
MAP snippets; it's the same example I sent you yesterday.

	- Ed