4.8.0 release plan

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Fri Sep 16 11:46:13 EDT 2005

On 9/16/05, Daniel Morissette <dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca> wrote:
> I hope the title didn't scare you too much... don't worry, it's not time
> to freeze the source for a 4.8 release yet, but we should at least agree
> in principle on what our target date should be for the 4.8 release.
>
> I'm not aware of any major developments or changes in 4.7 yet, so we are
> definitely aiming for a 4.8 and not a 5.0 release.
>
> I would like to propose that we continue with the 6 months release cycle
> that we've had for the last few releases, so that would mean the
> following target dates:
>
> - Feature Freeze: October 17th
> - 4.8.0-beta-1: October 21st
> - 4.8.0-beta-2,3,...
> - Final 4.8.0 release: Dec. 5th
>
> Release manager TBD... I could do it, but if someone else wants to
> volounteer then you have until Oct 17th to speak up.
>
> Should an RFC be written for a release plan, or is it sufficient to
> discuss it on the list? If we don't require a RFC then I would like to
> open the vote on this proposal with a +1.

Daniel,

I have two development proposals I intend to bring forward to the TSC.
One for new resampling options for rasters and one for improved handling
of vector reprojection "at the horizon".  I would like both of those efforts
to make it into 4.8.  Based on that I am hoping we could push your dates
back a week or two.

So, I vote -0 on the proposal as it stands (ie. I don't like the date but I
don't feel strongly enough to try and veto).