MS RFC 7: MapServer CVS Commit Management

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at DMSOLUTIONS.CA
Wed Sep 28 15:14:09 EDT 2005

Yewondwossen Assefa wrote:

> I do not expect people to take care of both builds as this might not be
> possible. If they can do it that is great.
> But my idea is that the issue should be raised in the bug  and be
> adressed *before the bug is closed*. It is the repsonsability of the
> commiter to ensure that both platforms are updated by either assigning
> it to someone else or doing it himself.
>  In reality most of the time, It only means asking someone to build on
> certain platform from cvs with few modifications in the makefile. We
> could have a pool of people who are responsible for diffrent platforms.
> I could myself be one of the persons making sure that windows builds
> work after the changes.

In order to avoid making this process too heavy, would it be sufficient
to include a note like the following?

- When committing new features or significant changes to existing source
code, the committer should take reasonable measures to insure that the
source code continues to build and work on the most commonly supported
platforms (currently Linux and Windows), either by testing on those
platforms directly, or by getting help from other developers working on
those platforms. If new files or library dependencies are added, then
the configure.in, Makefile.in, Makefile.vc and related documentations
should be kept up to date.

  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca