Adding operating system detection to configure for bug 1209

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Fri Apr 7 10:00:30 EDT 2006

Umberto Nicoletti wrote:
> I have tried AC_CANONICAL_SYSTEM but it requires install.sh so I
> decided to go with a lighter implementation. If the option is not
> explicitly set configure will try to detect it by using the uname
> output ( WARNING: could this break Windows builds? ).

Umberto,

Good point on the AC_CANONICAL_SYSTEM.  No point in adding new dependencies.
Actually if you have reasonable defaults based on uname for common systems
then that likely satisfies my primary concern.  I don't mind folks on exotic
systems having to a bit of extra work.

>> I'm a little leery about calling the option --with-os as I can't see
>> many non-Java applications.  In fact if there were another package with
>> similar issues it seems likely that it would use a slightly different
>> naming scheme.  I think I would prefer something like
>> --with-java-include-sys-name if possible.
>>

> What about the shorter --with-java-include ?

My concern with that is when I see an option of that form I *assume* it
is supposed to be the path to the base include directory for the
component.