Multiple user problem -- C# MapScript Web Application (Is mapserver thread safe?)

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at GMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 9 09:32:10 EDT 2006

Umberto,

Most of us are user and/or developer of mapserver/mapscript so the
primary objective is to make the code sufficient for using in
multithreaded environments.(not to blame the code anyway)
You are willing to prove the usability and the correctness of the code
from the experimental side. However i am a bit uncertain how to
construct these tests and what to test against. How can you make sure
a problem properly manifests in an error. And how to reproduce a real
production environment when the user is complaining about funky
segmentation faults for example. I am slightly anxious with this
issue.
Therefore the best i can do is to look over the code and see how the
global variables are handled inside. The problems were identified for
mapserver at RFC-15 but all of the dependent libraries may cause the
same problem. If a dependent library is not thread safe
it will destabilize the mapserver code either. At the first post of
this thread the problems of gd and proj4 (each one is fairly
fundamental) were also identified. Now then, we cannot consider the
code as being thread safe easily. It was noted for example that in
spite of we have locks around pj_init we would have locks around
pj_transform as well. The locking strategy of the current
implementation is rather experimental.

Here is my proposal in the beginnings:

1. We should implement an alternative  global lock at the SWIG
interface level first. Only the method invocations should be locked
the property manipulation is considered as thread safe by me. As a
benefit the user could easily switch to this level of safety when
experiencing problems can be dedicated to thread safety. (Benedikt's
approach)
Alternatively we could implement a COM STA style single threaded
model. (However i cannot see the benefits so far). In the latter case
every method invocation would imply a thread switch. The mapserver
code would be tampered by the same thread.
2. Alternative application models should be suggested for
safety+performance. (Ned's approach)
3. All of critical sections of the code should be identified and
locked properly. I am considering currently not all of the sections
are handled.
4. Global data should be eliminated at all or restricted to use as
const variables initialized at the startup code. On demand
initialization of the variables should be eliminated.

Tamas