PHP/Mapscript still has a memory leak

Ned Harding nharding at EXTENDTHEREACH.COM
Fri Aug 11 09:39:10 EDT 2006

Just because the memory goes up over time doesn't mean it is necessarily
a memory leak of that size.  It could easily be memory fragmentation.  I
have been fighting this same issue in one of our apps that didn't have
any leaks at all but ran out of memory all the same.

Ned.

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Developers List [mailto:MAPSERVER-DEV at LISTS.UMN.EDU]
On Behalf Of Stephen Woodbridge
Sent: Friday, August 11, 2006 7:11 AM
To: MAPSERVER-DEV at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-DEV] PHP/Mapscript still has a memory leak

Hi Daniel,

I just updated to mapserver nightly (Aug 9, 2006) and I'm running the
ka-map precache2.php modified to run in apache. The previous fix to
solve the leaking file handles improves things greatly, but there is
still a memory leak.

If I restart apache and fire off the script it uses a modest amount of
memory, under 300MB for the process. Since I'm running 25000 scale, it
runs a long time, and after 24 hours the process is using over 1GB of
memory.

I can send my copy of precache2.php if that would help. The mapfile
uses:

   OUTPUTFORMAT
     NAME PNG8
     DRIVER "GD/PNG"
     EXTENSION "png"
     MIMETYPE "image/png"
     IMAGEMODE RGBA
     TRANSPARENT OFF
     FORMATOPTION "QUANTIZE_FORCE=ON"
     FORMATOPTION "QUANTIZE_DITHER=OFF"
     FORMATOPTION "QUANTIZE_COLORS=256"
   END

I assume this is reproducible with any mapfile. I'll write a bug on this
also.

-Steve